Did You Know – In some countries, the engagement ring is worn on the right hand instead of the left.
Photo Source: Pink Pepper Photography
Here’s the list:
- Germany, Russia, Spain, India, Colombia, Venezuela and Poland.
- Orthodox Christians and Eastern Europeans also traditionally wear the wedding band on the right hand.
- Jewish couples wear the wedding ring on the left hand, even though it is placed on the right hand during the marriage ceremony.
- In The Netherlands, Catholic people wear it on the left, all others on the right. However, in Austria, Catholic people wear it on the right. In Belgium, the choice of hand actually depends on the region of the country!
- Greek people, mostly Orthodox Christians, also wear the wedding rings on the right hand in keeping with Greek tradition.
Photo Source: The Studio
A traditional reason to wear the wedding ring on the right hand stems from Roman custom. The Latin word for left is “sinister” and for right it’s “dexter”, a word that evolved into “dexterity”. Hence, the left hand had a negative connotation and the right a good one.
Quite interesting, right?!
Lots of love and positive vibes,
Namrata The Scriptwriter